Sunday, January 15, 2012

Full Moon at Morning


It is January 2012,
and many, many of my students believe
the world will come to an end this year.

I hope not.

Because if it does,
I won't have this majestic image
bidding me good morning
a few blessed times every year.

I never know when the moon will
refuse to extinguish her light
in favor of the master morning sun.

Each year, Luna's gaze captures me
completely unaware.

The day before I took this picture,
the moon was twice this size,
and lazily dunked her full, yellowish, head
below the horizon
as I made my way past hill and dale
on the short trek to work.

It was a magical sight.
I feared I might not make it to school because
I was completely, utterly
moonstruck.

I vowed to capture her glory the next morning.
This was the moon the very next day,
at the very same time.

Though the clouds at morn
conspired to distract me with their
sherbert hues,
I was determined to catalog
her shining face.

What you don't see is the magick from yesterday.

It is camera shy 
I tell myself.

And with that lament,
I wrap the mystery of yesterday's golden glow
into a tidy present that I alone will celebrate .

I am reminded
to stay present
to pay close attention, and
to record in my heart
as well as my eyes,
the unique beauty of EVERY
morning moon moment.

Welcome 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment